This guideline serves as a how-to guide, providing the direction you may need and answers on holding events on the campus of IUPUI.
Special Event Guidlines
An event that has multiple components, a larger area and a high volume of attendance will need to provide a special layout of your event. This layout will provide locations for vendors, food and beverage, portable toilets, tents, stage and other key areas as they relate to your event. This site plan will be reviewed by Campus Facilities and will provide feedback and approvals/denials.
Electrical power, water or any other utility needed to support your event will need to be noted on your Special Event Application. IUPUI Campus Facility Services will contact you to arrange for any utility set-up and service, a fee will be charged for this service and will require payment prior to service connection. Fees charged will be placed against an internal bill number (IB# noted on Special Event Application) or will be invoiced by IUPUI Event and Conference Services.
Food and Beverage
Indiana University has several exclusive food service agreements with third party partners which must be recognized and followed by the Indiana University community at IUPUI. Chartwells Higher Ed food management company is contracted to provide all residential, retail, concessions, and catering food service on the IUPUI campus. Effective January 1, 2023, catering exclusivity applies to the Campus Center only. Check with your event planner for catering options within University Tower, Hine Hall, and the Madam Walker Legacy Center. Canteen Vending Services is contracted to provide all vending operations on the IUPUI campus. Coca Cola is contracted to provide all beverage products on all Indiana University campuses. A list of frequently asked questions has been compiled to help the IUPUI community understand the obligations of these food service agreements as well as other university food safety and purchasing policy and practices. Visit the IUPUI Auxiliary Services FAQs to learn more.
Indiana University policy Service of Alcohol (
An IUPUI parking pass permit is required for all IUPUI parking lots and garages. Please refer to the campus map for details. Arrangements for parking can be made for your event by contacting Alan Tucker or (317 278-3713) at IUPUI Parking and Transportation Services.
IUPD Indianapolis is responsible for public safety while you’re on University property. Additional security may be required for your event and IUPD Indianapolis will make that determination.
If you are holding an event that will require directional signage for parking or other locational marking this will need to be outlined on your Special Event Application. Direction from this information will be provided by Event and Conference Services.
If your event requires street closings, please fill out the paperwork with the City of Indianapolis for a Special Event Permit.
While on the campus of IUPUI you may face an emergency situation, and knowing what to do can make all the difference -- not only for ourselves but for our visitors and guests. Please use the buttons on the link provided to read through procedures for potential emergencies. Protect.IU Emergency Procedures.
ALL UNIVERSITY RENTAL NEEDS WILL NEED TO WORK WITH AN APPROVED IU VENDOR. A LISTING OF APPROVED VENDORS CAN BE FOUND HERE.
- Portable Toilets – for large, outdoor events, portable toilets must be provided at the rate of 1 per 100ppl. The planning group is responsible for the ordering and setting up of these portable toilets. Please include the location of this equipment in your site plan for approval. Portable hand washing stations are suggested anytime portable toilets are used at an event.
- Tents – All tents along with size, type and location must be placed on a Site Plan and submitted for approval with your Special Event Application. If your tent requires staking in the ground, the planner will need to contact Indiana Underground Plant Protection Services 3 days prior to installation. All tents must meet the life safety codes of the local authority and will also be evaluated by IU Risk Management.
- Tables and Chairs – If tables, chairs or podium is needed for your event your planner will need to note this on their Special Event Application and will be responsible for all rental responsibilities with an approved IUPUI vendor.
- Technology (Events needing technology) - lighting, screens or sound equipment will need to contact an approved IUPUI vendor and will be responsible for all rental responsibilities. Large technology equipment will need to be included in the site plan and noted on your Special Event Application.
- Trash Receptacles – All events will need trash receptacles. Please keep in mind that the IUPUI campus is a green campus and subject to all recycling efforts. The locations for these receptacles will need to be noted on your site plan and Special Event Application. IUPUI Campus Facility Services will contact you as it relates to trash needs for your event, there will be a charge for trash receptacles placed at your event.