IUPUI has an exclusive food contract with Chartwells to provide all residential, retail and catering food and beverage service including concessions on the IUPUI campus. This is a geographic exclusivity and applies to all IU buildings and grounds generally located between West Street on the east, White River on the south and west and Indiana Avenue on the north. Payment by an IU Foundation account or non-IU account is not an exception and the exclusivity applies equally to all users of University buildings (i.e. non-university groups and university groups). Additionally, Indiana University has a system-wide contract with Coca Cola and only Coke products can be provided, sold or advertised on any IU campus.
Exceptions to Exclusivity
• Donation: Sponsorships of events by an "outside" restaurant, caterer, grocery store, or food distributor that donates (100%) food or beverage for the event. In order to ensure safe food handling, a list of the donated items along with the event name and date on the donor's letterhead must be forwarded via email to Auxiliary Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Capacity Issues: IUPUI Food Services recognizes that on occasion it may not be possible to provide service requested on a particular date due to maximum capacity from prior catering commitments. These circumstances should be rare, and when exist, alternate dates, a change to the level of service (i.e. full service to drop off), or alternate food options should be considered. After discussion with the Director of Catering, should an alternative solution not be found and an outside caterer is required approval by IUPUI Auxiliary Services is necessary.
• Location Specific: Locations (building/grounds) on the IUPUI campus that are not managed by IU such as IU Health Hospitals, Eskanazi Hospital, VA, Ronald McDonald House, and NIFS are exempt. Center for Young Children is also exempt.
• Pitch-ins: Pitch-ins, which are defined as food and beverage provided by the participants of a private event not intended to be resold and not reimbursed by either an IU or IUF account, are exempt. Pitch-ins are not allowable for events open to the public.
• Minimum Orders: There is a $250 minimum for events held seven days a week. The total cost of purchased food and beverages not meeting these minimums are exempt.
• Fundraisers: Food fundraisers can serve as a source of revenue for students groups. Food fundraisers and the applicable Marion County Department of Public Health regulations have been formalized in the IUPUI Food Safety Policy.
• Registered Student Organizations: any event organized and paid for by a recognized student organization is exempt.
Please note that exemption from the IUPUI Food Services Exclusivity Policy does not include exemption from adhering to all Marion County Public Health department regulations and the IUPUI Food Safety Policy or the requirement to fill out the Special Event Notification form located at the IUPUI Event and Conference Services website which serves to notify the appropriate campus service providers of the event.
UPDATED: March 2020